Saturday, November 10, 2007

Me and my talents


My lesson tomorrow is on talents and it has motivated me to explore new talents and further develop the one's I have. For some reason we, well I, feel embarrassed to even publicly recognize the talents we have been blessed with. I think for some reason we feel embarrassed or shy... downplaying what we are good at. Denying any God-given skills and talents, isn't that terrible. How can we do as the Lord has asked and use our talents to bless others when we are not even able to acknowledge we have any? So, though I feel a bit strange doing so for all to read, I am going to write up some talents that I believe I have been blessed with. I am hoping that by doing so I can work consciously on improving them and will be blessed with even more talents in the future.
1. I am a good friend. I try very hard to stay and keep in touch with people throughout the years. I make it a priority to make calls and get together. I love to listen and try hard to do so empathetically. I love my friends and place a high priority on trying to be a great one.
2. I am a good photographer. I have much to learn and am really excited to further my knowledge in this area soon. I am passionate about taking pictures.
3. I am optimistic. I never thought this to be categorized as a talent but as I grow older I see that it is. I try to see the positives in everything that happens.
4. I am a good writer. I don't spend much time anymore doing this. I use to write a lot and have many loose sheets of paper floating around covered in poetic and creative word.
5. I am musical. This is funny because I know nothing about music nor do I play any instrument. But I have always passionately loved beautiful music. Even as a young girl of maybe 6 or 7 I use to beg my friends who took lessons to play for me. I was front and center at all of their recitals. I am always hounding my "singer friends" to sing for me. I have a love for music and wish I could have seen where that would have taken me years ago. I still tell my Husband that as soon as we have money to do so I plan on buying a piano and taking lessons. 
6. I am athletic. This is a good example of not using a talent and loosing it. But I can usually pick up any athletic skill and play it well. When I was younger I was an exceptional athlete... I even got "athlete of the year" in J. High. Like I said, long ago... but it still shows traces.
7. I am open-minded. I try to keep an open-mind about what others choose to do. I try not to judge others for who they are or what they do. There is almost always more to a story then we know and I try to love all people to the best of my ability. 
8. I am quick to forgive. I love to have peace and am always happy to re conciliate and forget.
9. I am a good Mom. I feel like I do the best job I can and always strive to do and be better. I love to play and be silly with my kids. Be patient and understanding. I will do anything for my kids.
10.I am a good communicator. This is especially wonderful in a marriage like mine where I married a man who communicates well with me. I am good at telling people what I feel and want in a non-confrontational way. 
This was a lot harder to do then I thought and took forever. Maybe one day I can write down another 10 things without needing to think about it for so long. I believe that in order to be happy we need to specify the talents we have been given, develop them and use them to benefit others. I am going to set goals,practice, and be persistent in developing my own. And I know many of you that can help me along the way as you have mastered so many of these and more.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with your analysis !00%. Once again I say I am so happy you are a part of our family.

Becca said...

what a great post!It's hard to recognize our strengths when it seems like our weaknesses get put on center stage more often! you are a wonderful person with endless talents...I loved the ones that were less obvious to strangers. That's a blessing of being your friend...friends get to enjoy the optimist, good listener and forgiving Jill!

regibells said...

My thoughts on you exactly! You are so right about noticing your talents and acknowledging them. Good for you. I guess I do get shy about my talents but We shouldn't! Thanks for the reminder. All these things you mentioned are things I have thought of you. You are always such a good listener and analyzer and fun to talk too. You have always been a good friend to others and I do love how you so eloquently communicate your thoughts and ideas. I just love you Jill! You are a great person!

Unknown said...

You are so awesome! SO, I did it too! Talents should really be more important to each of us. We will totally go horseback riding next year, if you are still in town!
Love ya!

Unknown said...

You forgot to say that you are also good at getting your little sister to clean up your half of the room without realizing she has been tricked. I think this is called "delegating" or something to that extent... :P