Saturday, December 15, 2007

Alone

Last night at about 5 pm I decided to go out and run an errand. You can all appreciate that I went out to get Ella's red shoes that I had put on hold. A nearby Target finally got a few more in and I bolted. So I went out all alone. It was so nice. I rarely do things by myself. I am a pretty social person and usually if I cant do something with someone else I tend to just not do it at all. Well last night I was having a little bit of a grumpy hour and needed to just get out, so I did.
I went to Target, out to dinner by myself ( which was amazing) and shopping at TJ Max. I got to take my time, go slow and be alone with my thoughts. It was wonderful.
While out, being grumpy and feeling bad for myself, I called up one of my closest friends Jenn. At the end of the conversation she told me the following story. It haunted me all night and made me feel ridiculous... being grumpy for such silly reasons. 
" My Sister-in-law went in on Monday to have her labor induced. She had an appointment with her OBGYN the previous week and all was well, as it had been the entire pregnancy. Family was in town, showers had been had, the clothes were washed and they were ready. She excitedly went to the hospital to have her long-awaited( it took them years to get pregnant) little girl. As they were hooking her up to the monitors they heard a problem... nothing. There was only one heartbeat registering on the monitor, her own. Her baby had died. She still had to go through labor and delivery of her still-born daughter. The autopsy showed that she had been strangled by her umbilical cord... maybe the day before. They got to sit alone with their beautiful, full-term baby for a couple of hours before they took her away. The Family will be flying out to Utah this weekend to bury the daughter they never got to meet but love more than anything."
I just want to cry everytime I think of this. And I cant stop thinking about this. It really puts things into perspective and makes me feel grateful and so fortunate. So my thoughts are with this amazing couple and I pray that they can get through it, I know they will. But I also know they can use as many prayers as they can get.

3 comments:

Tiffany J said...

Jill how can anyone keep a dry eye while hearing this story. I'm sorry for your friends and we wish them all the best in this situation! We will keep them in our prayers!

Becca said...

what a sad result! Who knows why things like this happen. It does make you stop and think about the things that are causing us struggles and really makes us adjust our out look! Comfort comes in knowing that that sweet baby is held now by her loving Heavenly Father!

Julie said...

It's so hard to even think of what to say when something like this happens. One of my best friends went through the EXACT same thing, it was weird reading such a similar experience, even down to an ultrasound a couple days before the birth. I never fully understood her loss until I had my first baby. There is a great support group called "Hand" that helped her a lot.
On a lighter note I love shopping alone, even grocery shopping.